NICAS Level 4
Level 4: Lead Climber
At Level 4, young climbers will learn:
- The hazards of lead climbing
- Climbing ropes – types, uses, construction, coiling and maintenance
- Knowledge of quickdraws and racking on harness
- Warming up – mentally and physically
- Lead belaying with appropriate belay devices
- Holding a leader fall
- Correct use of the rope whilst clipping running belays (back clipping, z clipping etc)
- Efficient movement and clipping from rest
- Clipping in and lowering off
- Effective communication with climbing partner
- Demonstrate knowledge of rope types, their care, coiling and maintenance.
- Demonstrate understanding of the hazards and risks of lead climbing.
- Lead belay proficiently with appropriate selection of belay device.
- Safely hold a leader fall.
- Lead climb fluidly clipping all quickdraws correctly.
- Improve lead climbing ability by one grade.
- Complete 30 lead climbs at F5a(5) or above.
- Complete 30 lead belays.
- Complete 10 top rope climbs at F5c(5+) or above.