NICAS Level 1
NICAS (National Indoor Climbing Award Scheme)
Level 1 is the entry level for candidates wishing to learn basic climbing skill on this nationally recognised scheme. This level focuses on a safety conscious attitude as much as climbing skills. It is designed to be easily achievable by any climber with aptitude in a short space of time, whilst remaining under the supervision of an instructor at all times.
The courses run at the following times:
Monday 5 - 6:30pm &
Sunday 11:45am - 1:15pm
How does the course work?
- Course start on Sunday 10th Monday 11th January
- It runs for 10 sessions on the same day and time each week
- There is no session on Mon 15th & Sunday 21st February (half term)
- The final (assessment) session is on Sunday 20th & Monday 21st March.
- The young people will learn different elements of the syllabus each week and have an assessment on the final session
- The duration for each session is 1.5 hours
- The cost for a space on any of the 10 week courses is £100
- NICAS books are required for this course and these are purchased at the time of booking or at reception, the Level 1 & 2 log book is £5
- All equipment is provided
Q. How old do you have to be to do NICAS Level 1?
A. 7 years old is the minimum age for doing this course at Mile End Climbing Wall
Q. Do I need to do anything prior to booking someone onto the NICAS Level 1 course?
A. Yes. All young people must be registered with us here at the wall prior to commencing this course. This can be done by downloading the form and returning it to us here at the wall or it can be done on the first day of the course (but it has to be completed by a parent).
Q. How long does the course run for?
A. There are 10 sessions of 1.5hrs duration and it is expected that young people will attend every session.
Q. What happens if my child misses a session(s)?
A. It is important that your child is present at all the sessions. If any are missed your child may have to attend catch up sessions (at an extra cost) in order to reach the required level for assessment.
Q. How do we know if our child has passed Level 1?
A. There will be a formal assessment on the last session. At the end of this session the young people will be told if they have met the required standard or not.
Q. What happens if my child attains their Level 1 award?
A. The instructor will fill out their logbook and pass it on to the NICAS course director for a certificate. Successful young people can then potentially book onto a Level 2 NICAS course (spaces permitting)
Q. If my child passess Level 1 are they guaranteed a space on a Level 2 course?
A. No. Whilst we do our best to accomodate everyone, we cannot guarantee spaces.
Q. What happens if my child does not pass their Level 1 assessment?
A. Anyone who does not pass their assessment can opt to book onto the next available Level 1 course (£100) or book private instructed sessions (£60 per 1.5hrs).
Q. This course is full, when is the next one?
A. The courses run for 10 weeks from the start of each school term.