Roped Climbing for Beginners
Buy a Gift Voucher
Learn the ropes, literally
This course is the perfect introduction to the world of climbing with ropes.
Under the watchful eyes of our nationally qualified instructors you will progess through the basics of indoor top rope climbing.
Once you've perfected these skills you will be able to climb unsupervised on the ropes in our centre.
This course is suitable for people who have never climbed before or those seeking a refresher for their top roping skills.
This course is available for anyone 14 years or older (parents of under 18's will need to contact the centre for the correct paperwork before their child can take part in this course). Under 18's who turn up for the course without the correct forms will not be allowed to climb and no refunds will be given.
What you will learn:
- How to tie into a rope correctly
- How to correctly fit a climbing harness
- How to belay and hold a falling climber
- How to use a ground anchor to belay a heavier climber
- How to use an auto-belay
What will I need to bring?
- all the technical equipment and climbing shoes are included. You'll need a £1 (refundable) for a locker and we reccomend bringing some water (or you can buy a drink here).
What do I need to wear?
- normal gym wear is best. Be aware that climbing centres are notoriously hot in summer and very cold in winter so dress accordingly.
- if you want the full climbing experience you may want to consider adding Introduction to Bouldering (climbing wthout ropes) on to the end of your roped course. It's a further 1.5hrs of tuition and will cover all the basics of bouldering safely in the centre (buy these together online and when you checkout and recieve a £5 discount*)
*this discount is strictly for on-line booking only
How much does it cost?
- Roped Climbing for Beginners costs £60 for 4.5hrs of instruction (3 x 1.5 hour sessions with breaks inbetween)
- Introduction to Bouldering is £25 and runs straight after the Roped Climbing for Beginners course.
- Buy the 2 courses online together at the same time and recieve a £5 discount.
How long is the course?
- The course starts at 10:15 and finishes at 16:00. It is split into 3 sessions with break for refreshments and lunch (please bring your own lunch)
What's the plan for the day?
- 10:00 Report to reception
- 10:15 Session 1 - The basic skills
- 11:45 Refreshment break
- 12:00 Session 2 - Consolidation
- 13:45 Lunch Break (bring you own food)
- 14:30 Session 3 - Moving on
- 16:00 Roped Course ends
- 16:15 Introduction to Bouldering (this is an optional add-on course and can be booked here)