Climbing with Children at Mile End
Our policy for customers who supervise children in the centre has changed
From 1st February 2015.
The supervising adult must be a registered ‘CLIMBER’.
Adults registered as ‘BOULDER ONLY/NOVICE’ cannot supervise children*.
We have a ‘ONE ON THE WALL’ policy. This means that only one child can boulder at a time. It is not possible for one person to spot two children at the same time or to spot a child whilst climbing themselves.
The Supervising adult CANNOT CLIMB. They are there to supervise their child only.
The children must be CLOSELY SUPERVISED at all times.
This means that the children must be close enough to support and spot should the child feel unsafe, scared or fall.
* Customers who are registered ‘Boulder Only/Novice’ who have considerable experience (in both climbing & supervising children) & who are known to the centre can apply for permission to supervise their children. This will only be granted in exceptional circumstances. Please ask for the Duty Manager to discuss this.
There is no exemption from the ‘One On The Wall’ policy
Adults (18 and above) who are registered with us as 'CLIMBER' can supervise a maximum of two children within the centre:
- There is no lower age limit.
- The adult can only supervise THEY CANNOT CLIMB.
- One adult can supervise a maximum of two children regardless of whether those children are climbing.
- The adult must complete a supervision form.
- Supervising a child means being close enough to support and spot should the child feel unsafe, scared or fall.
- The children will be under the supervision of the adult at all times within the centre and no formal instruction will be given by Mile End Staff or Instructors.
- Climbing is undertaken at the supervising adults' own risk.
Please note that we cannot accommodate large groups without advanced booking. Any group consisting of more than 2 adults and 4 supervised children (2 per adult) is considered too large for entry to the wall. Groups of this size must book instruction in advance. (The minimum age for children is 7 years when under instruction.)
Please note: There are 2 main styles of climbing here at Mile End Climbing Wall:
1. Bouldering - This is climbing without ropes. It takes place above crash mats and any fall will result in the climber hitting the mats/floor. The presence of matting does not rule out the risk of injury.
2. Roped Climbing - This involves the use of technical equipment (ropes, harnessess, belay devices etc). Parents can only supervise children on ropes if the parent/supervising adult themselves know how to use all the appropriate systems and has been registered at the centre as a climber.
All parents / supervising adults should read and be aware of the British Mountaineering Council's Participation Statement:
The mountaineering councils recognise that climbing is an activity with a danger of personal injury or death. Parents and participants in these activites should be aware of and accept these risks and be responsible for their actions and involvement.
Adults registering for the first time to supervise children:
- £14 per supervising adult (one off first time registration)
- £5 per supervised child.
Adults who have been before and are already registered:
£5 per supervised child.
If you have any questions, please contact the centre on 0208 980 0289 or